Sunday, January 27, 2013

Communication

The following is a conversation that I recently overheard:

- We all agreed that we would be here every week.
~We said that we should be here every week.
- That's what I said.
~It's not the same thing.
- It is to me.
~Obviously not to everyone, or they would be here.

I had to laugh, because I can relate to this. While giving a massage I often ask "Is the pressure too deep?"  A common response is, "It's OK.". Well, that could mean a wide range of things; from, "it could be deeper" to "you're killing me, but I know that I need it".  I usually need to follow with a few more questions to determine how to proceed. To get the most benefit, communication is extremely important during massage. Ask questions and give feedback to you're therapist; especially if it is your first time working together. Over time a therapist and client develop better understanding, however, this is all the more reason for better communication. Speak to your massage therapist about any changes that have occurred since you last worked together.  Remember that mind reading is not a perfect science.

No comments:

Post a Comment