Thursday, March 14, 2013

Car Inspection

The simple choices don't always work out the way you want them to. I am feeling good this morning and need to take care of my neglected car. The state inspection was due last month so that comes first. (Don't judge, I was out of state when I noticed it.) I pull into the station, wow, no one in line! Less than two minutes, the inspector comes out. Great! Right away he says that I need new wipers. Do I want him to do them($$$)? Or get them around the corner at the parts store($)? There's no one in line behind me. I'll be right back. It only takes 5 minutes to get the wipers and change them out.  I drive back around the corner to see a car in the bay and two more in line. I wonder what it would have cost to save an hour waiting in the cold and just let them replace the wipers...
The next stop will be to have my oil changed. Maybe I should ask if they can just do that here....

UPDATE:  Turns out that it doesn't matter; they rejected my car anyhow. The front brakes need replaced. It seems like I just had the brakes done on the car, but that was a year ago and only the rear brakes. Oh, and the inspector mentioned that I would need new tires soon. The tread on the front is thin and the rear tires are starting to dry rot.  The good mood that I was in this morning is fading fast. I think that I will just skip the oil change for today.

UPDATE 3/20/2013:  As I have stated in past posts, things tend to work out for the best if I let them. I took my Baja to the Subaru dealer yesterday to have the front brakes repaired. It turns out that they were in worse shape than I understood and need to be replaced; rotors and all. Since I am planning a trip in a couple of weeks I also requested them to change the oil and do the state inspection so that I don't have to make time to return to the previous inspector. During this process they found more wrong than I could have imagined. An oil seal and the water pump have been leaking onto the timing belt. (I've had a timing belt break in a previous vehicle. The entire car just stops dead; irregardless of when or where you are.) The transmission fluid was black. Stop and go traffic will do that to a vehicle quickly. Rotating the tires will take care of that issue for now. A couple other things that I don't remember, but have written down. So three days and $2500 later; my Baja will be ready for that road trip. I would rather find out now and have it fixed than find out on the road somewhere in the mountains or on a toll road with no help around. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like that massage on Tuesday is gonna be right on time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those inspections are always crazy. You should open a massage place right near the exit to the inspection facility.

    ReplyDelete