Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Weaning Off Cymbalta


I had been taking 60 mg of Cymbalta daily for approximately four years.  It was the first drug that I received a prescription for after being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I remember the side effects the first few weeks were terrible, but I felt okay/good most of the time. The side effects lessened and the symptoms were under control.  After four years I was just tired of the never ending cycle.  The cycle is known to anyone dealing with a chronic illness: have a good day, overdue, pay for it the next day (or week).  The flip side of this cycle is have a bad day, feel guilty, push through it, and pay for it the next day (or month).  


I felt that it was time to do a self evaluation.  I wanted to stop taking the Cymbalta and find out how my body would handle the Fibromyalgia on its own. Okay I have heard and read a lot of horror stories about coming off of Cymbalta (and other similar drugs). I wanted to do this the safest way possible, so I checked in with my doctor.  This is not the original doctor who prescribed Cymbalta to me, but my current general practitioner. I have been seeing this doctor for maybe six months. At first she suggested that I could just cut the pills in half. Ha ha ha, see photo at top of page. Okay, a short discussion and computer reference later, she sent a prescription to the pharmacy for 30 mg Cymbalta qty 14,  and gave me a written prescription for 20 mg Cymbalta qty 20. The instructions were 30 mg daily for two weeks, 20 mg daily for two weeks, and then 20 mg every other day for two weeks.  Mission accomplished.


The main problem I have encountered is SLEEP.  My sleep cycle is not like anyone else's that I have ever heard of.  A typical example follows:

Go to bed at 10 pm and fall right to sleep.
Wake up at 11:30 pm -- wide awake.
Do quiet activity such as reading, crocheting, word search puzzles.
Tired again (finally) at 4:30 am.
Sleep til 9 am alarm.

This is rather aggravating. I have started skipping the going back to sleep part.  I was hoping that It would help me sleep longer, but so far no such luck. 

 I do have days that I can't stay awake:

Go to bed at 10 pm and fall asleep within a half hour.
Wake up at 9 am to the sound of a whining dog who needs to go outside.
Let dog out. Feed fish. Take medicine.
Back in bed asleep by 9:30 am.
Awake at 1 pm by bladder.
Wake up between 5 pm and 7 pm starving.
Eat dinner and wander around in a daze (fog).
Go to bed at 10 pm and fall right to sleep.
Sleep all night.


I am trying the Fit Bit Flex to track my sleep habits as well as my activity levels. I am hoping that this will lead to discovering ways to improve my sleep.  More time is needed to work on this.

After only a few days since my last dose of Cymbalta, I am noticing an increase in the pain in my legs along with an overall achy feeling.  I prefer to stay off of the medication indefinitely, but have set a minimum of one month for myself.  I will try supplementing natural minerals and herbs before going back to a chemically produced solution.  I am also still working on the reduction of processed foods and sugar in my diet.

More updates after the first of the new year.  If you have any questions or suggestions, please comment or contact me.
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment